Keeping your books clean will significantly increase circulation and extend their useful life. Books should be cleaned on a regular basis. The frequency of cleaning depends upon how rapidly dust and dirt accumulates in your library.
You should start your cleaning process by:
- Holding book tightly, turn the book upside down so that dust won’t sift between the pages.
- Dust the tops of the books with a vacuum cleaner using a soft brush attachment.
- Remove dust jackets.
- Gently wipe covers clean with a soft cloth and clear water to remove residue. Pampers or Huggies baby wipes will also work.
- Allow books to dry before replacing dust jackets.
It is very important that you do not use alcohol based cleaning products or cleaners containing abrasive materials when wiping covers clean as these products could damage the covers.
You should not use any of the following:
- Magic erasers of any brand
- Absorene Book Cleaners
- Absorene Dry Cleaning Sponge
- Do not scrape with sharp knifes or other objects
- Lighter Fluid
Following these simple procedures will extend the life of your collection and ensure your students many years of enjoyment.